Monday, April 24, 2006

i wouldn't call it interesting

... even if it was slightly out of the ordinary.
Got the call from YeonJi on Friday night about 7. She had won tickets to 'Grease' on the radio. Luckily I had to work, and arranged to meet at 8pm the next day.
After work I spent pretty much the whole day in the PC room downloading and watching episodes of 'Band of Brothers' and yj called me just as I was heading down to the substation. She was a little cut on account of she'd been with her co-workers all day on some kind of workshop up Mount Palgong and thhey'd been doing some drinking.
Following the usually kafuffle talking with a drunken girl in broken english, we found each other near the cinema and she took me to the restaurant all her people were at. I saw and marvelled.
Drunken korean office workers are not a pretty sight.
About 20 people of mostly 30+ sat around a long table covered with bowls of spicy salad and plates some kind of warm, soft ham. Evidence of beer spillage was apparent, and so was their joy at seeing me. There were shouted "hello"s made in that tone you come to recognise as indicating the bare minimum of English ability. No problem there, I'm just a passenger anyway. However, it was a little annoying when one drunken old dude stood me up for a linked arm one-shot. I drank half and pulled out my pills to show that I shouldn't be drinking, and that slowed down the desire of everyboody to have me catch up, thank goodness. Then the real fun began. There was a speech or two, and then it was time to stand on the table and sing and dance. Eggs were dropped, drinks were spilled. One nice gentleman tried to grab me for a dance as I returned from the counter with a glass of water which resulted in one poor lady getting a soaking and me needing a refill.
Then it was off to the singing room where the hilarity continued. Songs were sung, and someone cued up 'My Way' for me and I did a pretty good job, I think. While I was singing, the boss wrapped me in toilet paper and gave me a TP bandana. There was other equally stupid stuff going on, but i took off to go get some food. I guess these guys like to have a good time, but I really wasn't into it. It was nice to be there and see some uptight K-peeps getting loose on it, but it simply reaffirms my mantra: "Moderation is key"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

I like to say things I don't mean.

Powered by Blogger