Sunday, April 16, 2006

a list of the dullness

Bit of a bookworm, me. Here is a list of the books I have read since I landed in this dull-ass city (in the order that I thought of them while my students were playing a game):
  • The Lymond Chronicles (consisting of 6 densely literate novels about a Scottish rogue);
  • In Conquest Born (a diabolical novel of war and hate);
  • Guns, Germs & Steel (or "Why the white man rules the earth");
  • The Red Queen (evolution in action; why people cheat);
  • Siddhartha (Herman Hesse discusses Buddha-nature. I enjoyed it);
  • Kittigrew and the Incorrigibles (a piece of swashbuckling airport shite)
  • Catch-22 (for old time's sake);
  • Momo (Gorgeous! By the guy that wrote the Neverending Story. Read this one!);
  • The Little Prince (Cute!);
  • Mother Night (Vonnegut is always good and easy);
  • VALIS (Philip K Dick's religious experience);
  • The Life of Pi( wothwhile and a piece of cake);
  • Poker without Cards (disturbing dialogue a la Bucky Fuller);
  • The Game - infiltrating the secret society of pickup artists;
  • Finding God through Sex (Kooky, and difficult to accomplish on your own);
  • The Way of the Superior Man (it's good!);
  • The Fire from Within (essential Castaneda)
  • Think and Grow Rich (annoying, but practical-ish);
  • Dune (again, for old time's sake);
  • Wuthering Heights (don't);
  • Cyrano de Bergerac;
  • Through the Looking Glass (both just so I'd know. Also, they were thin);
  • Our Twisted Hero (by a Korean author Lee Munyol- pretty good!)
  • not to mention the entire Asterix, including the ones Uderzo tried to write by himself; and a whole swathe of other comics (Batman; Sin City; Lucifer; Top Ten; Promethea; The Watchmen). Big ups to Rick for the hook-up.
  • And From Hell, and almost every episode of Akira
.... and that's about all I can think of. Why get out more when stuff is more interesting in my head? (and other people's)

2 Comments:

Blogger Erueti Brown said...

wow impressive booklist.'momo' sounds like a go.I'd never heard of it till now.

6:26 pm  
Blogger wu-wei said...

Dude, it rules! You'd love it.

2:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

I like to say things I don't mean.

Powered by Blogger