Saturday, July 16, 2005

it's all the same only different

I'll probably say this a few times in my tenure here, but "same shit, different country"

I went out with Julz and James, the kiwi boys from Go-Chung (just outside Daegu) last night. Just hung around mine drinking and shooting shit til 11 when we spruced up and headed out for dancing. Started at the Gypsey Rock, where I learned that Julz was telling the truth about how fondle-y korean girls can be on the dancefloor. They are certainly not shy about where they put their hands and also not shy about where I put mine. Had I been less drunk I might not have bothered to find out, chivalrous gent that I am, but I was that drunk. It was kinda interesting, but I despair of the communication factor. Anyway, we stayed there dancing til about 1 and headed off to Bubble, which was having a special deal on covers with the Frog.
It has to be said: I am easily the best dancer I saw all night. OK, so maybe I could tone it down a bit but noone on the floor could carve it up like me.
But
Long experience has taught me that being a solitary guy dancing can get to be a pretty fuckin lonely thing (smiles and high-5s aside). I always wind up asking myself: "Who's the show for, Glenn?" as in, what am I trying to prove? Historically, it's been for the ladies and any guy who appreciates what it is to move in time to the beat, but it happens to be an ineffectual pulling tool. Julz has the knack, fuck him and I am jealous. How a guy can pull a girl and not even speak her language is beyond me. Then he has the audicty to complain(!) that Korean girls are starfishes in bed. But anyway, my dancing has resulted in at best smiles. I guess I must have expected things to be different here far from home but no. No matter where you go, there you are - always the same.

I stated that my intention in getting away from New Zealand was to bring about a big change in myself. Break those barriers and inhibitions, you know? It did occur to me to ask "How exactly will another country accomplish that?" but I never managed to answer. The answer so far is: it can't. Same shit, different place.
Oh well, I'll keep on trying I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

I like to say things I don't mean.

Powered by Blogger