Friday, July 15, 2005

"i'm-fine-thank-you-and-you?"

OK, my Current Events (CE) class, is probably the coolest class I have at the moment. y task: I am supposed to grab some news, edit it to make it readable and propose some conversation/thought-provoking questions to a group of 23-30yo graduate students and slackers. It's my favourite because their ages are very similar and also because we don't have to work to "the book". God bless. So it's basically just me hanging out in a classroom with these dudes (one girl), interviewing them about their opinions on various shit - marriage, study, superheroes, cell-phones for developing countries, sino-korean relations, nude beaches and the pamplona bull run. Some topics provide diverse responses but I've had a couple of efforts where there's nothing controversial to say about the story and I only realise once I've read it in class with them. It's like "So... thoughts?......." pin drop "Ohhhhh-kaaaay, next story? Yeah....". Bummer is, the class is from 8-10pm so sometimes dudes don't feel like talking. In fact, some guys will only talk if I stare directly at them for like 10 seconds or something. Then maybe someone else will pik up on what this guy says and ra-de-ra. It's supreme when I can get them talking to each other rather than me as the facilitator, but ten I get afraid that I've lost control. Oh well, fuck 'em. They're payin for it and they can take what they want out of the class. Also, they're all grown ups - it's not like I have to hold their hands and guide them through the jungle of "conversation with peers". Evidence suggests that the quiet ones are so due to lack of English proficiency, but they are all able to express opinions (the major difference between level 3 and 4).
I think tomorrow I'll write down a list of nice controversial topics, find stories to match and go with that.
cu

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

I like to say things I don't mean.

Powered by Blogger