Saturday, July 02, 2005

today's highlights

Today I was a driven young man. I woke at a reasonable hour and after a nana smoothie waltzed down to the school and proceeded to revise my "Teach Yourself" Korean textbook.
I did all the exercises in chapter one and then went to lunch down at my new favourite place where the old ajumas are recognising me now. I imagine I'll get mad props when I can say more than "hi, noodles please, thanks". On my way back to school I popped in at Family Fresh F-something, Daegu's equivalent of a starmart or citystop. Here I had a nice mango jiuce in a can while i read all about PS2 piracy and SinCity in the Korea Times.
Then I went back upstairs and did the next 2 chapters from the book. Result: now I can say (theoretically) "I want to x" and "I can't y", as well as the obvious "I am currently z-ing"*
Something else too, but I can't remember.
Sill doesn't help me order dinner., though. I walked past at least a half-dozen places because I was too embarrassed to spend ages staring at a menu I couldn't understand and then wincing as they bring out some amazing weird thing. I like to pretend that they're all talking about me in words I can't understand, while I just stare ignorantly out the window.

I would very much like to go out and get drunk but I have only 20000 to last me until Monday, when I collect my advance. I've decided to not use Mr Credit Card except for big purchases. Vasana said next week he would help me sort out a cellphone. If I study hard I might be able to beat him, but I doubt it. I will probably just get rolled again.
But anyway, drunkeness. This means going home and getting some gears on suitable for nightlife (it's 9:20pm or so - thank god the guy next to me has stopped smoking) and then catching a bu into downtown. It's not so much that I can be bothered it's more that I am sick of sitting around my room. I feel a little sorry for Gary as his room has even less stuff than mine. I'd go drinking with him only I don't know where he lives and he doesn't drink. Sad.
------------------------------------------



The guy next to me is playing some neat game where he is doing electrical spells on what look to be muddy ogres out in the desert. Yawn.

*Note that the same sentence in Korea can also mean "We are z-ing", "I z-ed" and about a dozen other things depending on the context

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo yo g,

how are you?? good to hear you have reached korea safely and are doing well!!

keep in touch ok, stay safe!!!

v.

3:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Wellington, New Zealand

I like to say things I don't mean.

Powered by Blogger